BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Journey to Denver

Well I started out my trip to Denver an hour late, in true Sorensen fashion. I had lunch with Amy and the kids in Heber, and then drove East. This was my longest drive I've personally accomplished to date: 7.5 hours, all by myself, and it went pretty well. The first few hours scenery-wise was pretty boring. I thought I might fall asleep, (I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before), but I was alright. Something I'm so glad I had: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on my iPod. It's going to be hard resisting reading the rest before my trip back, but it was such good listening that I will have to! Halfway through Wyoming the scenery got really pretty, so that helped keep my interest sharp. I had to take a bathroom break, and so I stopped at this little gas station. The signs were pretty adament that I was NOT allowed to use the bathroom unless I was a customer, so I bought this soda:



I've never seen it before. And I never tasted it because it kind of exploded in the car.



I think wind turbines are Gorgeous. I honestly think they are so beautiful and why aren't they used more often? I can't take my eyes off of them whenever I drive by them. There were a few rows of them in Wyoming (this isn't my picture...)



And this is such a poor example of the beautiful scenery, but it's all I could manage since I was the one and only driver. I passed an abbey in Colorado, in the mountains, and I was so tempted to stop. But I was already running late and I didn't want Aunt Meg to be worried, so I passed it by. Maybe on the way back.

I got to my Aunt's house in Loveland, went to bed pretty early, slept really late. Then we went to lunch, on a few errands, I read Uncle Vanya (which I loved), took a walk around the lake she lives by, watched Ocean's 12 on tv, read a bit, and went to bed. It was nice getting to know another relative, I liked her a whole lot. And she has a Delightful dog, Ebony. She snuggled up right next to me both nights I spent at the house.



And here I am in Denver. I was a little impressed with myself that I did not get lost, nor took any wrong turns. Thank you Googlemap. I unloaded my car and then went to park it in the Denver Center parking garage for the month. On my way back I took some pictures. Sorry, I cannot figure out how to turn them... Here's a huge bear trying to get into the Convention Center? Peeking in? I don't know, but I like it.



Here's the Denver Center. Kind of deserted on a Sunday morning, but very aesthetically pleasing.



Here's the Tramway building where I'll be taking my classes. It is maybe a five minute walk from my apartment, how nice! You can see a glimpse of the mountains back there, and a church steeple. Downtown Denver is pretty charming.



And I can already tell there is plenty of good shopping and good food to be had here. I passed a gelato place on this street, I will have to go there once. Good thing I'm only here for a month.



Lots of statues around, I like it.



A clock tower with a bell!



And here's the view from my room. I have a little balcony. I like that it's westward so I can see the mountains a bit. I can also see the Tramway building and the tip of the Denver Center.



Another view.



And this is my apartment. All to myself. As it turns out, I won the lottery and got a studio apartment so I have no roommates. That's great, but I hope it doesn't harm my making friends process. I thought it might be nice to have a roommate to be friends with right off the bat. But quiet will be good too. And it's my own space to practice monologues and such. It's a nice place, plenty of space, my bed pulls down from the wall in the living room so I never have to really make it! All the necessities plus direcTV

So now what? I've unpacked everything so I'm quite at home. I've got an audition this evening, and I have to get to the grocery store, but other than that I can just relax! And practice my monologues. I think I might explore the neighborhood a bit more. I still can't believe how close my apartment is to DCPA. Heavenly. And I really do like the look of this city. I think I'm going to really enjoy my time here. And I'm glad I have a car! I hope to get some good hiking/trail walking in while I'm here. Speaking of mountains, I hope to always live near some, I love them.

Please comment. I am already homesick for people I know and it's only been a couple of days! Better yet, give me a call sometime. It is far too easy for me to retreat into solitary singledom here in my lone apartment, and I don't want to. I'm still nervous for tomorrow, but I hope I find some good friends here.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't know if you remember me, but it's Sarah Ratliff from BYU. I've been reading your blogs lately, and I just want to let you know how much I enjoy hearing about your life. Good luck in Denver!

Anonymous said...

cooooooooooooool!!!!!!!