BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 01, 2004

A Generation Raised in Propriety

Yesterday we had a readthrough of a revised edition of Morag's script, though the 'we' only included a few people from the cast. I really like the new stuff, which is mostly in the end. Morag will probably revise the final moment again, but the main event which is changed will be the same. I love this show, and am really grateful to be in it. Apparently we'll be performing at the PAC again, but I hope we can get some better lights, for the sake of the scene changes. The Nelke would be better but we're not allowed to charge there or ask for donations.

Yesterday I had returned home from work only to fall asleep for longer than the hour I had alotted myself. I didn't miss Yoga though, thankfully, I just didn't have time to do the work I was going to in the morning. After classes I ate dinner with Sylvia and grabbed a book from the library. I then went to the readthrough, then went straight to visit teaching Angela. Angela is the Relief Society president in my ward, and an art major. She's a really cool person, and we seem to understand each other really well. After giving her the lesson, I asked to see some of her art, and was pleased to see a lot of stuff I really liked. She had warned me that her stuff was a little unconventional, stuff that most people perhaps wouldn't like. I loved it though, especially her ceramic self-portrait and one of her pieces from a Band-Aid series she did last year. It was kind of eerie actually because this one piece reflected the character of Marie (from "A Generation...") so perfectly. Marie is the character I'm playing; she's 10-12 years old, and is a gentle and loving person who is really imaginative, but is beaten by her father. She has this idea in the play about what she wants to happen to us after we die; she wants us to come out of our dark boxes with colorful wings, like butterflies, and be angels with beautiful wings, shaking our dust onto people on earth who need a little extra help. The butterfly motif runs throughout the play. Angela's piece was beautiful to look at, and about healing and carrying others' burdens; on the bottom is said something about angels and butterfly wings-- something that totally matched Marie's idea in the play.

Angela also told me this story. She includes a butterfly in almost everything she does because they symbolize so much for her. She told me a story about this artwork that she saw in China. In the corner was a tiny butterfly, and she asked the artist why the butterfly was so small. He said that she had noticed the most important part of the painting, and that there was an ancient legend regarding butterflies. Once there was a princess who was in love with a peasant. She of course was not allowed to marry this man, and when her father discovered that she loved the peasant, he was sentenced to death by being buried alive. The princess could not bear this, and so secretly got into the coffin with her loved one. They lay one on top of the other and died together. Legend has it that when their spirits emerged from their bodies and rose towards heaven, they were linked together, like a butterfly, each one being one side of the wings. And so the princess and her love could be one being for the rest of eternity. Angela loves this symbol, and also uses it a lot when she creates artwork about her relationship with Heavenly Father, because she wants to be one with him as well.

It was an experience so randomly beautiful, which connected so well with my character. I loved it.

Straight from visiting teaching I went to the "Bus Stop" runthrough, which was very enjoyable. I really like the show and am really glad I'm doing my 360 on this one, since I like most of the people involved. We went to Logan's house, and didn't leave til 12:30. I am so undisciplined. I realize this, but do nothing to change it, because nights are like my favorite time of day and I don't like to miss them. Stupid job. I wish I had a benefactor.

As Zach says, Peace and love.

Which perhaps we can in some degree achieve if Bush is not president again.

0 comments: