BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 27, 2007

this is Laura on drugs.



Today I gave myself a sick day. I never do that, because I usually have more important things to be doing. But now I don't. I did wake up hecka early this morning to babysit, but then discovered that wasn't necessary. But I woke up to fog, so it was worth it. Utah is never foggy, so I like seeing it. I also reminisced about my school days as I drove around Pittsford, seeing kids traipse to school, and then imagined myself as 1) a professionial adult, as there were many on their way to work, and 2) a suburban housewife as there were many driving their kids to school. Upstate NY is a great place to raise a family, I feel. And I do, actually, live in one of the top 100 places to live in America, which a sign proudly declares as you drive into the Basin on 96. I don't know who awarded us that privelege, but I could agree. Sometimes I feel a little like Lorelai Gilmore, because Pittsford is just so Charming. Especially when I'm driving the family CRV because it is akin to a jeep.

With so much praise for Pittsford, why was I not looking forward to coming home? Because this isn't the ideal place for an actor.

As I was driving back home early this morning, I stopped by Wegmans to pick up some TheraFlu, my cold medicine of choice. I also picked up a copy of the October Martha Stewart Living.
This is a guilty pleasure of mine, which I think is a little strange. I believe the target audience is rich homemakers. I am neither one. And the publication occasionally makes me a little angry, as Martha flaunts her beautiful houses and endless money to redecorate it every week, or to put work aside to go out on her boat with her caviar and wine for an evening on the water. Like every woman who reads this magazine can relate, rather than envying the luxuries of the rich. I think the basis of my guilty pleasure is that I want a place of my own, and I am looking forward to decorating it in my own style. I will probably not, unfortunately, have the money to do it in the way or in the time that I want, but Martha's magazines do give me ideas. And she does appreciate a good garden, good food, and creative not kitschy crafts.

One of the luxuries of home is my mom's kitchen. It has every appliance you could desire, and she has all the spices and herbs that I have not had the cause/money/time to collect. I made ginger bread today from scratch with fresh ginger. I ate it as I watched Little Women. Nick once asked what our comfort things are during J.C., and I replied, without hesitation, that Little Women was my comfort movie. As much as mashed potatoes is my comfort food and Gilmore Girls is my comfort TV show.

Dream Roles (in no particular order):
Jo in Little Women, the musical
Belle in Beauty and the Beast
Martha in The Secret Garden
Catherine in Proof
Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing
Kate in Taming of the Shrew

Alright, it's been almost a week since I got here, and I'm tired of entertaining myself. In other words, I'm a little homesick.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

great blog. great use of "hecka". i can imagine you very, very easily as kate in taming of the shrew. you'd be great.

Anonymous said...

Just one question...hecka? Guess you are more Utah than you thought, eh?

voyageuse said...

I don't consider 'hecka' Utah. For me, it is purely an Elizabethism. The Elizabeth that commented above. And it rubbed off on me.